Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP and thumb Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyallk

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2004
US
Heres my problem, and i cant figure it out.

The Background:
Netadmin for a college. We have alot of about 500 boxes, all log in to a domain. We have (the problem child) a DDT (Drafting Design and Technology) Lab. These boxes are NOT on the domain.

The Problem:
When user is logged in with just "user" rights and not in the DDT lab, they can put a Thumb drive in, and wholla, all is good. But in the DDT lab, they put a thumb drive in and it tells you that you need Admin rights to install hardware?!?! I tried addeding a DDT box to the domain, but it still freaked out.

The plea:
HELP!!! The instructor is a real pain the butt on this one. None of his students can save to a thumb drive. I can log in as admin, and let it install the drivers, but for some reason, it only sees it AS THAT SINGLE THUMB DRIVE. Next student comes in, and bam, back to the same problem. Now, the whole campus is mostly Dells, These are special built boxes. I am off to find out if they have differnt USB controlers or something. I am just really tired of beatting my head against the wall on this one. Anybody else run into this problem?!?! If so, how did you fix it?!?!?!?! I am dieing here.......... [curse]

One way to get things moving is to bring in a test machine and give it admin rights. Your students can save their work on this machine through the network and then trasnfer it to their usb drives. This is the last resort though cause it is an inconvenient method.

I would think you could make give these students admin rights first and then configure the software policy or group policy, ( I dont remember exactly whats its called ).
This way you could limit the users and also give them rights to install these USB drives.

try to find more on software policy or group policy on google.

-
mobajwa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back