Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS XP AND SIDEKICK 99 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernhurst

Technical User
Jan 5, 2002
US
Has anyone else had problems installing Sidekick 99 on XP?

The message I receive on attempting to install makes no sense,

"This installation had detected that a previous installation or un-installation requires that you restart your computer"

Help!!!

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've tried deleting all files on the new xp computer thinking it was a flawed installation, but there is nothing on the computer to be found. Each time I try to install it comes up with the same nonsense error report. Bill Gates does it again. Unfortunately, Starfish wants nothing more to do with the product they sold me just over a year ago.

All help toget this running on xp will be greatly appreciated.

Dear all,
I found this on the Sidekick99 question page at:

When I try to install Sidekick 99 for the first time, the following message appears:
Msg: Severe
When I try to install Sidekick 99 for the first time, the following message appears:
"Severe This installation has detected that a previous installation or un-installation requires you to restart your computer"

What do I do to resolve this?
Answer Solution:

1. Reboot your system
2. Look for a file named Wininit.ini, in either your WinNT or Windows folders.
3. If you find this file, rename it to Wininit.old
4. Try the Sidekick install again.

It should now work.

Hope this helps in XP
Regards Jim ;-)

Dear All,
See also thread807-169169 for a program that interferes with the display of calendar entries in Sidekick98 on WindowsXP.
Regards Jim

Dear Gary,

See faq807-1313 for information regarding Sidekick99 & Sidekick99 downloads.

If you haven't got a copy already then it would be best to go to Ebay and search there as it is still being sold by a few commercial outlets.
Regards Jim

This is to verify that the procedure of renaming wininit.ini to wininit.old on windows xp works. I was able to successfully to install sidekick 99 after getting the error message that it had already been installed.

thanks all for the help.

John

Hello i'm have the same problem installing sidekick 99 on my new computer which as windows xp. I have try renaming
wininit ini file but i still get know join i wonder if anyone can help me

I want to buy Sidekick 98 or any version which can be installed in Windows 98 system

Can anybody inform me where I can get this software

Dear Bashcooper2000,
The only download I know is available Sidekick98, is for people who already have bought a copy of Sidekick2.0/95/97/98, a bit of a problem, unless of course you purchased one of the available versions e.g.2.0/95/97 (Try EBay) and then got back to us.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back