Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP and NW Client 4.9 SP2 Problem with Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsven

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2005
DE
HI all together,
we have a big Problem with our Novell Server.
Sometimes when we open some Excel Sheets (the color of the file is blue) we can open it, but we only see quadrangles!
This Excel sheet is destroyed than.
Have someone an idea what the account is?
Thanks
Bye
Sven

Hi,
it sounds like you have several issues that need attention. The first would be to do a server health check to make sure your servers are running properly. On the server with the master replica, goto the console and do a full DSREPAIR. This will check your servers general health and fix any underlying problems. Be careful, doing this may take some time and your database will be locked.
If you are having problems with file corruption or errors then you will need to do a VREPAIR (traditional vols) or an NSS rebuild/repair (NSS vols).
Make sure you have the latest Service Packs installed for Netware and your client PCs. Check on the Novell website for the latest SPs for your version of Netware.

There is a lot more to be done but start with these first.

Is this NetWare 6? On a different post you mentioned probs with NetWare 4, so I just want to clarify.. What server version and what service pack?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.

This is a problem that I'm seeing at my site.
A whole lot of Excel documents are damaged, as well as Word documents too. Is this something that the New SP2 Client could be responsible for?

It's very possible.

The first poster -- sounds like he has corrupt compressed files.. If that's the case, it's more complicated to fix.

Atomican.. set these on the server, it should help you out.

SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED=OFF
SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED=OFF

Hi,
ok, i will set this commands on the server.
But what does this commands exactly do?
I know , that the file caching set of,
an the oplocks is a realy nice funktion of Novell.
I read this at But tell me, can this couse any problems, when i do that?
Bye

HI,
i only want to say that
we habe an Novell Server 6, Support Pack 3!!!
THanks
Bye

Hi,

to Atomican - see TID 10095627 on the Novell site, This gives a much more detailed explanation and the web links to several other resources.

to Marvhuffaker - the settings on our particular server were advised as the following -

SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED = ON
SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED = OFF

is this correct as you previously mentioned that both should be OFF ? Applying this setting above has irradicated this issue on our server so is there a particular reason or is it that it just worked in our circumstances ?

DJSVEN - sorry if we are getting a little distracted here, how's the repairs going ?

Jeff

DJSVEN, There is a critical problem with NW6.0 SP3 that causes files to go corrupt after they have been compressed. You need to apply an NSS post SP3 patch or upgrade your service pack to SP4 or SP5, then run COMPFIX to fix those compressed files. look up this TID 10084404.. Don't do compfix until you have updated your patches.

Jeff, As a rule, I turn both off. If one of them 'on' works for you, great. I don't have time to take chances with my clients data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back