Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP and, memeory and page file size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2002
GB
I am running windows xp professional with an athlon 1900 and solotex MB with a promise Raid 5 - four disc system with a spare IDE drive. Main memory is 768Mb and 256Mb on the Raid card.
The problem is that it slows up!!!
It boots to show a swap file of 120Mb which gradually builds up to 2.2GB swap file.

Also after leaving it overnight I even had a memeory alert saying 'low virtual memeory'!!! The CPU utilisation was running at 81% (down to svhost.exe running with 79%)

Can anyone throw some light on this and how to get it running faster?

Hi Bernardstewart,

I am also having a similiar issue. I have been researching, and I noticed many users using XP, and are having similiar issues. I did everything; defrag your hard drive, and delete page file, set it to 0, customize it, increase the memory, i even took out my memory and reinstalled it. Nothing seems to work. I believe it is an issue with XP. I always get low virtual memory, when I shut down or restart.I thought it might be my RDRAM memory, I may decide to change it.

Hi Bernardstewart,

I am also having a similiar issue. I have been researching, and I noticed many users using XP, and are having similiar issues. I did everything; defrag your harddrive, and delete page file, set ito 0, cusatomizize it, increase the memory, i even took out my memory and reinstalled it. etc...nothing seems to work. I believe it is an issue with XP. I always get low virtual memory, when I shut down or restart.I thought it might be my RDRAM memory, I may decide to change it.

I have discoverd part of the cause to this problem.
If you install MIS on a networked PC and the network is switched on it is OK. However, if you switch off the other LLAN PCs, as I did for security reasons, then something in XP or MIS keeps hunting for the LAN and makes the SVCHOST.EXE file/page file grow in size.
Simmilarly if you install MIS on a standalone PC, before installing either a modem or network card then the same problem occurs.
If you only install the McAfee virus scan there is not a problem. It only occurs when you instll the firewall component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back