Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP and Domains 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkiey

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
CN
I have just setup my 2k computer on my pdc and it works wonderfully.
The problem I seem to have is getting my windows xp home configured to logon to my domain.

I have a bad feeling that this is not possible but could someone either confirm this or explain how I might be able to get it to connect.

thanks.

XP Home and Domains
thread779-274187

Login to 2000 Domain from WIndows XP -Home
thread779-346132

And this from Lockergnome tips.

Quote...

"
Whether you're in the military or not, you should salute CptSiskoX for describing a (current) Windows XP loophole. "Normally, Windows XP Home Edition cannot join network domains, simply peer-to-peer workgroups. However, there is a fix which can solve the problem and allow WinXP Home Edition to join a domain. Microsoft wanted to cripple 'Home' so that it could not be used on domains, which would force many to upgrade to the more expensive Windows XP Professional simply to join a network domain. However, it is possible to get on a domain using the Home Edition. This can be accomplished with the free and widely-available Xteq X-Setup 6.1 by navigating to the 'Network \ Auto Login \ Windows NT/2K/XP \ Settings' option. Simply enter the appropriate information and click the 'Apply Changes' button. On next reboot, you can then join domains with Windows XP Home Edition. Problem solved." It was noted that the latest version of TweakUI could also do the trick, but seeing as Microsoft has temporarily suspended the download (to "fix" the oversight), X-Setup is a more viable, short and long- term option."

End Quote.

thanks for ur help. i an yet to try it out. before that i just wanted to clear some doubts. i ned to connect to the network while i am in office , but iat home i don't have a network . what i will do to start my botebook, if the network is not available. is there any settings for this also?

waiting for ur replay.

thanks
john

When at home, in the field that asks for the domain, choose the name of the computer. Which is effectively logging in locally.

JON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back