Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp and clipper/blinker??

Status
Not open for further replies.

suds321

Programmer
Jun 12, 2000
i have many apps compiled in clipper 5.3 and linked with blinker 4.1. some apps will run under windows xp and some apps won't even launch. they just sit there with a blank dos window screen. does anybody know if there are blinker options that can be set or turned off to make sure apps will run under windows xp. i don't have NT or 2000, so i can't be sure the same problems exist on those platforms.

any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as my company's success depends on if our clients will be able to operate our software under windows XP

thanks in advance
mike sudduth
classic computers

Hello,

Since Windows XP does not support DOS and DOS applications (although they may run), and Clipper and Clipper-compiled applications are DOS-programs, the official answer will always be that no, you can never make it run. If it does, it's a fluke, and you can be sure this will be fixed.

Greetings, Wouter Dijkslag

Q. Can I reboot into DOS with Windows XP?
Here is some info from one of many sites pertaining to your question...

Windows XP is not based on DOS, as is Windows 9x. However, Windows XP does support a DOS-like command line environment, and you can run most DOS applications--and even many DOS games--in Windows XP.

Windows XP also supports an optional boot-time command line environment called the Recover Console. As its name suggests, the Recovery Console is only designed to be used in the event of a system problem. To enable it, insert your Windows XP CD-ROM and type
D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons in a command line (assuming your CD drive is D:).

update!! i have since discovered that any apps that have been compiled with the "blinker executable extended" will not run on windows XP. does anyone know if there is a blinker fix? i have not been able to get ahold of blink inc for a week. they have not returned my calls, emails, or faxes

mike sudduth

The claim from Blinker is that Blinker 6 will enable DOS programs to work error free on Windows 2000. I do not recall if XP was mentioned.

As long as I know, Win xp supports, in an "added" layer OS behavoir, a DOS apps. This "new layer" (added because of the many dos apps running everywhere, caused MS to consider the problem of win 2000, all over the world) would make DOS apps run, under a "false DOS environment". Think of xp's dos shell as a "false shell", but the apps run.

But...... of course, DOS apps will die soon. No support.
Regards

I've been using clipper for 16 year's I don't have any problems using any version of windows even up to this time,
windows xp is a sure thing and a perfect OS for dos, I don't think that that the DOS will be dead, it is always be there no matter what, believed me, DOS will never die... I will give you a sample we haved a client a big big company's where my former employer are developed their systems.

How, a business man even though rich people will spend another millions just to divert their systems while there dos systems are running and contributing even more efficient in their businesses. how?... if you're in a big company and you are a president of that company, are you willing spend another millions just to ruined the existing systems?. I don't think so...

Hello... ladies and gentlemen if you have running problems with your DOS systems in any version or platform under windows... you can send me a letter to mojos@bell.ph am i willing to help you all...

moises,

I've just loaded a clipper ap onto XP for the first time. This software has been running for years under DOS and Windows 95/98.

Under XP, I can not get it to print to COM1: It returns the standard print error message. I can test print to COM1: from the command line without problem and it also prints OK to parallel printers from within the ap, just not serial ones.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

I have the project to migrate from Win NT to Win 2000. This application that was developed on Clipper is giving an error when I try to execute it from win2000. The error goes like this " General Protection Fault in Module wim.exe at 0010:00E7" The application exe file is WIM. Please fell free to contact me at computershot@hotmail.com . I wil apreciate very very much any suggestion you can bring me. Thanks in advance. Regards

I AM THE IT OF OUR COMPANY
MY PROBLEM IS THAT I WANT TO GENERATE A CODE TO EXE
IT IS GENERATED BEFORE THIS TIME TO GIVE EXE FILE BUT I WANTED TO FIX THE BUG OF R6003 INTEGER DEVIDE BY 0
TO GENERATE THE CODE I DOWNLOAD THE OBJECT __WAIT_B.OBJ
AND
I DO THIS INSTSTRUCTIONS
CLIPPER STOCK
RTLINK FI STOCK,__WIAT_B.OBJ,CTUS LIB CT
BUT I DOES NOT SUCCED
CAN ANY ONE HELP ME PLZ

We have XP and is the first time that we are happy in Windows!!
Our apps run in XP better than DOS, and printing is easy with PageScript (Abee)

Our apps are compiled in 5.2 and blinker 3.01

you can get a console prompt in XP by clicking start, choosing run and typing CMD. you may also create a icon that does the same thing note type cmd /? for a list of cmd options

i had some similair issues with print speed in XP. i found that removing all printers from the system except the one you actually need seemed to improve my print performance

When liking apps for win xp or 2k, not try to overlay the code, simply write &quot;clipper <myapp>&quot;, then &quot;blinker (6.0) <myapp>&quot;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back