Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows xp and AOL 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generous

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
GB
Can any one out there help me please......

I will be greatful....

I have a laptop with windows xp home edition installed on it. I also have aol 8.0 installed. The problem is when I am on line I can not access any web site/pages at all.

I have tried the following to resolve the problem but no success.

uninstalled and reinstalled aol 8.0
checked all parental control/internet connection/tools setting everything is ok.
when i try to access any web site it gives me this sort of line in the address bar.

res://d:winnt/syste32/shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm (something like this).

can any one help me to solve this please.

Your best bet is to call AOL. You shouldn't have this problem as AOL 8 is 'win xp friendly' :)

Thanks for your reply. I have spent hours and hours with their technical staff and have done everything, which was suggested to me, still no help....

please help me if anyone out there who has/had the same problem as me and have solved it some how.

many thanks.

Two steps, do not reboot until both are done:
Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, remove the AOL software, there might be more than one version.

Device Manager, View, Show all hidden devices, scroll down to Network Adapters, uninstall all the hidden AOL devices, reboot.

Reinstall.

thanx for your reply. I will try them. if it works you are a star*****.

Many thanks.

Try this,

Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove AOL and all of it's left over files. Go and sign up with another ISP.

Wa LA, problem solved.

If I really said how I feel about AOL, I would be kicked off this forum.

spool

bcaster.....you are truly a star. The problem has been solved by the link and file you suggested.

Thank you very much. please keep up the good work.

Many thanx...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back