Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP & 216.205.78.110 (itraceyou.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCorlett

Technical User
May 23, 2002
GB
I have two Windows XP laptop PC's which have suddenly starting trying to resolve to the IP address 216.205.78.110. When resolved using tracert the identifies a website "itraceyou.com". I am running VirusScan with the latest definitions and scan engines, but this finds nothing special, neither does spyware.

I am looking for an explanation of what it is and also how to get rid of it.

Help would be appreciated.

This is what it is:

iTraceYou.com is the name of a new, and free, Web-based service that allows users of almost any e-mail service to know the exact date and time their messages were opened.

So, someone sent you an email probably with this service and that is why you are seeing it in tracert...

Read more here:

Hope that helps

Erik

Thanks Erik,

I believe that this website has since closed, do you have information on how to get rid of this. I find it strange that other people aren't effected by this problem, whilst I can find loads of info on ITraceYou, I can't find any method of stopping the attempted connection to the site.

Cheers

You could block the IP address to the ITraceYou on your gateway if you desired. But, I don't think you can get rid of it by uninstalling anything or running any type of virus/spyware app. You will need to block the IP address to the resolving website.

Erik

I had come to the conclusion that we could do that my firewall.

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I would do if I were concerned and it does seem like your machines that received an email with this service that does not exist anymore would no longer need to be trying to resolve this IP address.

Hope that helps,

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back