Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows won't start-up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottleee

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
US
When I start my computer, it goes to the compaq screen like usual, but then it goes to a black screen with a blinking underscore in the upper left corner. I've tried holding down ctrl to go to safe mode but it just goes to the same black screen. I've also tried putting in the windows 98 start-up disk and running scandisk to fix any problems. It fixed some problems but didn't affect mine. Does anyone know how to fix it? I have a compaq presario desktop computer with windows 98 second edition.

a couple things before you reinstall.. try the bootdisk again and this time type in 'after the blinking' C:scanreg /fix

try that..

other than that you may want to stick the cd disac of windows in your drive tray and then reboot back to windows with bootdisc and pick option two., start computer with cd

.... post back

Shut down the computer, remove any card(except the video card), and restart.
If it still does not boot into Windows, then shut down again, reinstall the card, and remove another one.
If it boots up after the removal of a card, then either that card or its driver is bad. Try a different driver or a different card.

well i tried doing c:scanreg /fix and it didn't seem to do anything at all, second i couldn't find my windows cd, and third, i don't know which cards to remove and so on. If you have anyyy other comments or suggestions just post em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back