Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows wont log on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbiedigital

Programmer
Sep 18, 2004
AU
Hi im having this problem with my laptop, which has windows xp sp2 on there.
It starts fine but when it gets to the welcome screen, there comes a pop up which is nothing but a yes and no button

and a red circle with a white x in the middle, if i press yes or no it goes to the desktop, plays the windows system failure noise, then logs back out to go to the welcome screen.

I can boot up in safe mode, but i dont know whats wrong, ive tried booting up with safe mode with networking so i can download adaware or spybot, but the samet thing happens.

Can anyone please help?

Thankyou
Bobbie

Are your uploaded images working properly? I get this when trying to look at them.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /DSC01410.jpg on this server.

Do you have access to another machine where you can download things like -

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido" now called "AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5"

See IF you can install them in Safe Mode and run them from there. "Hijack This" will work in Safe Mode.

Safe Mode should also allow you access to System Restore.

Hi thanks for the post, yep i am pretty sure they are working, you might have to just copy and paste them into the browser instead of just clicking on them, could you try again please?

I couldnt install adaware in safe mode, i could do hijack this tho, should i place the results on here?.

I think i know something of the problem, its my friends laptop and i dont think he activated the windows before the expiry of the grace period, but it wont let me in to a part of windows where i can access the web and activate the copy :(.

thanks for your help
Bobbie

Thats what i think the problem is but ive also read that if the activation has expired you can only go to the activation screen and not into safe mode (which i can do), which makes me think he maybe did activate windows, and that it is some spyware or something at play.

Cheers
Bobbie

Windows will normally allow you Internet access to Activate, there is usually a link available. There is also Activation by phone. However ask your friend if he has completed a successful Activation. Safe Mode is always available even in non-Activated systems. There is a distinct and clear message when Activation is a problem, not a mystery message box with "Yes" or "No". Seems like malware to me.

Yes, copy and paste gives me access to your images.

The only inspiration I get from them is for you to look at MsConfig while in Safe Mode and see if anything strange is running at Startup.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Hi I tried removing a few things from msconfig, that didnt seem to do anything, there was nothing out of the ordinary anyway just adobe and office things, also tried a clean boot but now it doesnt even let me into safe mode!!

I do want to keep most of my friends things, but best solution might have to be a format and re-install, is there anything else i can try as well?

If i try a windows repair would that wipe everything?

Cheers
Bobbie

Do you still have access via Normal Mode? If so you might try MsConfig once more and undo Diagnostic startup and return it to Normal startup just to see if that allows Safe Mode again.

Some clever people remove their hard drive and plug it into a second machine and then scan it there for malware. With Laptops this may offer a similar option (see link).

ReImage laptop hard drive
thread779-1261355

This next is worth trying if your machine still boots -

Repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Of course any malware or corrupt Registry settings may also be saved and carried across.

Post your "Hijack This" log, somebody might recognize problems listed in there.

Nope i dont have any access via any mode now, ive got an external laptop hard drive case ill plug it into that and check for the malware :D cheers for your help.

Bobbie

HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP(Q305595)

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Try ChkDsk /r first

Look at FixMbr and FixBoot.

Then try this.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Hi Linney thanks very much for the help.

I tried taking out the hard drive, but its a sata hard drive and my case is non-sata :(

itried the chkdsk and that didnt work, i was looking up the fixmbr and fixboot things and they say its possible for them to make the partitoins innaccessible, is this true? how would it do this?

Also reading the inplace upgrade, it sounds like i need to do it while in windows? is that true? because i dont have access to safe mode anymore, ill give the digitalwebcast link ago and tell you how it goes, thank you very much for your help.

Bobbie

Hi i tried that digital webcast tutorial and it was working for a while it got me back into safe mode but when i restored an old restore point it went back to doing the same thing! and it wont let me in again, i might have to try the inplace upgrade, i read down the page and it does say you can do it via the cd, sorry about that. :(

Thanks for your help
Bobbie

Hi I tried the inplace restall but it seems to go through to safe mode everytime and hence i get amessage saying windows xp setup cannot continue in safe mode, setup is restarting,
ive tried pressing f8 at boot to make sure it goes to normal windows startup but it still goes to safe mode, any ideas?

Thanks
Bobbie

266745 - Error Message When You Run fixmbr Command

When you attempt your repair install are you following the instructions from this paragraph?

"Method 2: Reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD"

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Is it dropping into Safe Mode after the first reboot (of several) in the repair install? Is it booting from the XP CD?

HI Linney

Yep i followed the instructions from that link :) unfortunately it kept saying that the setup had to be restarted and that it couldnt be run in safe mode, but i couldnt get into any mode to change the boot.ini with msconfig, so i did a bit of research and and read that you could do it using the recovery console and the the bootcfg /rebuild command, i did that and it worked! but after the install it came up with the same popup!!! so i went back into safe mode and moved all the imoportant files into the other partion and i think now the best bet is to wipe it and start again! thanks very much for your help ive learned alot.
Cheers
Bobbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back