Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows wont load with 1TB drive connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

stax

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I have an issue with my Lacie 1 terrabyte HD, when i restart my PC with the drive connected windows wont load, instead it hangs on the mobo brand / Bios logo screen. In order to load windows I have to unplug the USB, restart and then plug it in.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this so that I can leave it connected when i restart?

Thanks
Shaun

Is there any bios option to boot from a removable/usb device? If so, try disabling that.

I can't see an option like that...

It will start up with USB drives connected, it seems that the drives that are over 500gb it wont start with

Any other suggestions?
Shaun

Is there a BIOS update that you may need to apply?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

This is a very common issue, and will happen randomly too...

e.g. my main PC, worked great with all USB flashdrives hooked up (dual boot with VISTA and VISTA is using the FLASH for speed up), for weeks and it has the latest BIOS (that does not always cure things), until last week, one boot and it hung just like yours did...

remedy: use a powered USB HUB in between the Lacie and the PC...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back