Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows won't install on RAID 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

luu002

Technical User
May 25, 2006
US
Hi everyone. I have just recently built my own desktop and am new to all this so please take it easy on me. Thanks ahead of time.

My system:
9NPA+SLI nForce4 SLI Mobo
Two 160Gig Seagate Serial ATA

I've followed the mobo manual and other online sources on how to install RAID 0.

Entering Bios:
Enable "RAID Enable"
Enable "SATA 1 Raid" and "SATA 2 Raid"
...(Hard drives are on separate SATA II data cable)
Enable "nVidia IDE RAID Boot ROM"
...(Manual said to enable "Raid Boot Rom" this was the closest match I could find. Anyways, I had to enable this to have it prompt for RAID setup.)
Hit F10 to setup Raid
Set up Striping
Set to Boot setup
...(the Adapt says "2" for both drives... manaul has example with their two drives' adapt as "1")
Boot Windows XP Home
Hit F6
Hit "S" to install Driver and Controller from floppy made from motherboard CD
Formate raided hard drive (300GB)
Copy Windows component
Reboot
Load window installation...(here's the problem)
during the "Installing Device" a blue screen appears saying something like
...windows has encountered unexpected error...must reboot...if first time seeing this error...detache new hardware...physical memory dumped...
I reboot get the same error in the same place...
I thought this was a windows problem so redid everything but with Windows XP Pro, same thing happens.

Sorry for the long issue.
If anyone has a solution to my situation, I would much appreciate your help. Thanks.

Maybe the drive issue is a Red Herring... Maybe you have a memory issue...

Thanks for trying.

I've figured it out. Something with the new nForce 4 chip. The driver that came w/ the mobo cd wasn't entirely correct.

I slip the updated drivers into the windows cd and just install. Everything works normal.

For those w/ similar problem, here's the link from which I found my solution:

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back