Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulreg

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
GB
I have set up a Windows XP Pro PC with 2 nics as a VPN server.
Nic 1 connects to the internet.
Nic 2 connects to other PCS on a mini LAN.
I can connect to the VPN OK but only if the 2nd nic is disabled. As soon as I enable it, the connection to the web and the VPN therefore is lost.
Nic 1 gets its ip info via DHCP from the ADSL router.
Nic 2 has a static ip address and here I suspect is my problem. I am wondering whether I have set up the gateway etc correctly. How does Windows know over which Nic to send my traffic ?

go to control panel, network connections, click on advanced setting and you will see 'adapters and bindings' and you can move the order. it may also be the default gateway or that you have to add a static route.

Its working now !
I changed the default gateway on the 2nd nic to match that of the 1st and then (after examining the results of route print) deleted the 0.0.0.0 destination and added a 0.0.0.0 destination for the correct gateway and interface.
Thanks
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back