Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Vista Ultimate\run DOS application

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihabaloul

Programmer
Feb 10, 2007
PS
I have a dos baes application runs on 98/xp/2000 normally by maximizeing the shell(DOS) (i.e.run command) as follows: (change the window's properties in XP)
1) Layout Tab: Height 300 --> 24
2) Option Tab: Windows --> Full Screen
then my application ran okay.
BUT in Vista I tried the same actions but windows still small and my application failed to run.

Regards

I think DOSBox is software emulation of cpu, no ? So dosbox will be much much slower than ntvdm.

Tomas

Help and Support Knowledge Base #926657

Some 16-bit DOS-based Programs and the Command Prompt will not run in full-screen mode in Windows Vista

SYMPTOMS
You may find that some 16-bit DOS-based programs do not run in full-screen mode in Windows Vista. You cannot set a Command Prompt (CMD) window to display in full-screen mode.

Note: This symptom only applies to 32-bit versions of Windows Vista. 16-bit programs are not supported on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

CAUSE
The issue occurs because the Vista device drivers do not support running all of the DOS video modes. The Vista device drivers are based on the Windows Vista Display Driver Model (WDDM).

WORKAROUND
You may be able to work around this problem by installing the Microsoft Windows XP version of the video drivers for your video adapter. Contact the manufacturer of your video adapter for more information about how to obtain the Windows XP version of the video drivers for your video adapter. (See the MS article for vendor contact information.)

(I found this KB article referenced as an explanation on the dBase forum here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back