Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Vista Novell Client Login Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdietz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2003
US
I am beginning the process of creating an image to upgrade our systems to Windows Vista Business. Been working on this the past few weeks and have everything worked out except for one really irritating glitch. When you try to log in to the system the first time after powering it on, it will sit at the "logging in to network" message for about 2 minutes, then pop up that the tree/server could not be found. If you try again, it logs in fine. If you have already logged on and logged back off, it will log in fine all future times until the system is powered back off. I thought maybe the system might just need time to get an IP, so I tried waiting 5 minutes before attempting a login, but it will do the same thing... Once you wait out the 2 minutes of "logging in to network" and then log in that second time, all is fine until the system is powered back off. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Sounds like you don't have SLP configured properly.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Is this something new with Vista... I never had to configure SLP for XP Pro or 2000. Can you shed any light on what needs configured. Thanks:)

SLP is a standard Netware protocol and should be implemented on every system. It stands for Service Location Protocol and is a very efficient way for a Netware client to find out about what servers are available to it.

A good place to start is the Netware documentation. You don't say what version of Netware you're running but here's the docs for 6.5:

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back