Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Vista (Business Version) does not download files from the...

Status
Not open for further replies.

win2kroot

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2003
ES
Good afternoon to all:

I have windows vista business version installed in my Toshiba laptop with admin persmissions.

When i try to download a file (any type of file) from the Internet, nothing happens.. i mean, although windows Vista starts the download, (green progress bar appears) the download progress finishes quickly at the end (of the green progress bar) and nothing is written to disk. I have admin permissions and no disk quotas are applied
Strangely, my antivirus (Avast home free edition) gets updated correctly. so it has nothing to do with the connection. ....

Also, when i try to open or download a attached file in my Yahoo email box, same story happens, for example, i have a powerpoint attached in my email box attached, when press to download the file, download starts but at the end powerpoint should open the file.. but nothing happens, the download windows just closes and that´s it.

Extra information:

1. I am using Internet explorer
2. I am downloading to a special folder called c:\util, not to Users\username\downloads (although already tried to download to this folder by default but not luck)
3. I have cleared the cache (completly) and restarted internet explorer, but no luck)
4. I am using the option "Save as" and unchecked the checkbox of close window when download finishes. Even whith this option unchecked when download finishes, nothing happens.. normally i should see a dialog window with the typical question of do you want to execute the downloaded file etc..

Please help
thanks

Can you successfully download anything if you for testing purposes try "Safe Mode With Networking"?

Have you had this problem since day one?

Any clues in the Event Viewer?

This is an interesting post, much of it to do with XP, but there are enough things that pertain to Vista to make it a worthwhile read, especially the solution involving corrupt Index.dat files.

Downloads via IE disappear?!
thread779-1321997

Linney:

Thanks for the suggestions
I have done the following:

1. restarted in safe mode with networking: still could not download anything from the internet with IE.
2. Co-worker passed firefox to a network share, installed firefox. WITH FIREFOX I CAN DOWNLOAD FILES ETC.. FROM THE INTERNET !!!! So, it a internet explorer problem. How can i fix internet explorer (reinstall needed ??) o configure it so it will download things correclty from the internet.
??
please help thanks.

Try running IE with No Add-ons, via System Tools.

Have a look at the various settings that are checked under Tools/ Internet Options/ Security/ Custom Level, see if they are too restrictive.

I don't think you can re-install IE7 in Vista?

You could try resetting Internet Explorer settings. (Help and Support article)

"If disabling add-ons doesn't solve the problem, try resetting Internet Explorer back to its default settings. This removes all changes that have been made to Internet Explorer since it was installed, but it does not delete your favorites or feeds.

Close all Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows.

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Click Reset.

When you are done, click Close, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer and reopen it for the changes to take effect."

Any later updates may also have to be installed again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back