Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows updates will not load after download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2006
US
I upgraded a Windows 2000 box to Windows XP SP2. After the upgrade I ran windows update. Downloaded a ton of critical updates. However when they attempt to load it stops and advises that "some updates could not be installed"
I tried installing fewer updates, but no luck. The only things that loaded from the update site were Windows Geniune Advantage Validation tool, Windows Installer 3.1 (kb893803) and Update for Windows (KB898641). No other updates will load. Any ideas?
Thanks

hey walnut,

obvious question but did wga windows advantage tool validate your copy of xp as genuine ?
some of the critical updates need a reboot between them

try going to custom install and only installing the culmutive patches, with a reboot inbetween each and that may help.

if wga has given a false positive as it were, then alot of the updates wont install

The OS is geniune, not sure if tool even acknowledged it. Tried doing the other suggestions, no luck. Thanks

Look at these threads, see the DLL-files that may need to be Re-registered.

XP Windows Updates download but do not install
thread779-1393383

Windows Updates Fails After Upgrading to WindowsXP
thread779-1393612

XP Windows Updates download but do not install
thread779-1393383

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back