Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Updates Trancfer to other pc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMartin2004

Technical User
Apr 22, 2004
US
I would like to know if there is a way to copy the Windows update files from one computer to a new one that has no updates yet. Should i be worried about connecting the new pc to the internet without having them installed? Please tell me what you think.

Thanks,

KMart2004.

. If the updates are already downloaded and installed on one PC, there is nothing you can do to help the new PC;

. You can download the updates in the future in a usuable form. For V5 of the Windows Update service, click on Administrative Options, Windows Catalogue.

. For the new machine prior to connecting to the Internet implement the native ICF firewall, or enable ICF and apply Service Pack 2 RC2 and use its firewall, or use a third-party firewall.

. If you apply Service Pack 2 RC2, most of your update chore is finished:
This includes: Service Pack 1, and nearly all current security hotfixes.

For any new computer, this seems the most reasonable course to take.

Bcastner, since i was using ICS, i have to leave my ICF disabled so that would not help from being attacted via the internet. I was just trying to think of the best way to do updates on a network the safest way.

Thanks,

KMart2004.

Why not download them with the other computer from the Windows catalog feature as bcastner suggests, then disconnect it from the Internet, connect the new PC to the network and install from there.

You can also order an updates CD for free, if you have the time to wait for the mail.
To order the CD:

AckNack

If you choose not to do the Service Pack 2, there are some rollups that can make life a little easier:

Post Service Pack 1 Kernel rollup:
Hotfix Rollup

Wireless Services Rollup

IE, OE and Security Rollup (brand new 7/30/2004)

Service Pack 1a

If you want to slipstream the services packs and Hotfixes, see:

In any case, after applying the service packs and hotfix rollups, head to the Windows Update site to have your status checked and to let it fill in any missing pieces.

Bill Castner

A note on ICS and ICF:

If you enable ICF on the LAN connection, you will block LAN browsing but not internet connections by ICS client machines.

If you enable ICF only on the internet connection (at the ICS Host machine) you will protect the LAN and not interfere with LAN connections.

ICF, properly configured only on the internet connection, will not hurt LAN traffic. ICF properly configured on any client machine will as well not interfere with LAN browsing: see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back