Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamafopa

MIS
Mar 1, 2001
CA
Just finished installing Windows XP Pro. New Machine and I have never used the OS before. My normal acivity on a new OS load would be to run Windows Update until I have installed all the patches and updates. However when I go to Windows update, I get only as far as the message that Windows is searching for available updates and progress = 0%. The machine does not hang, but nothing further happens.
Something I have forgotten or done incorrectly???

Thanks
yamafopa

The major update you are probably going to get is the recently released Service Pack 1.

Some of the few released after SP1 include Q323255, Q329048 and a VM Security Update, plus 1 or 2 others depending on your setup (ie networking etc.). You should be able to get these at....

Here you can choose and save your downloads to disk.

Otherwise, do what "SESaskDFC" says and try activating windows.

The absolute solution:

- in IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections (tab) > LAN Settings > uncheck Automatically Detect Settings
- *recommended* close IE
- run Windows Update again or access it through IE again [medal]

Murray.
Corporate version, so I thought I did not have to activate... Am I wrong?

NazzcaPro

Thanks, worked like a charm...
What is the reason for this??

Linney
Thanks for useful links, will need these soon when I start converting the other machines at the office...

Thanks again, all
yamafopa

Yama:

You never said you had the CE version.. No, it doesn't have to be activated BUT, if it is what I think it is, it will have to be 30 days after you install SP1 IF it even lets you !!

Murray

Yikes, just installed SP1! Have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks again,
yamafopa

Yamafopa,

I'm not exactly sure why that works the way it does. I guess the 'detecting of the LAN settings' clash with the AutoDownload somehow, preventing it to proceed. Odd but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back