Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows update will not scan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidman3117

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I have windows xp home, recently did a recovery, my windows update will not scan to recommend putting back sp2, etc. Made sure my auto update was checked. Had to start loading my updates manually for ms website. Any suggestions?
Regards,
Vidman

I have had a similar problem ... the PC would not recognise that SP2 was required when I scanned via the Microsoft update site.

However, when I obtained a copy of the SP2 update on a PC magazine cover disk, the PC updated from this without problems.

This might be worth trying, if you can find a disk which has SP2 on it.

Bob Stubbs (London, UK)

Thanks Bob, I went to the MS web site and manually downloaded SP2, but it still will not give me updates.
Bcastner, thanks to you also, as your suggestions in the past have really helped me, however, the fix that you pointed me to was no applicable in my situation. Live update had been running fine before I did this restore. I am the administrator of my box, as this is a home computer, and I did have SP1 on this machine after the restore.
Any other suggestions?
Regards,
Vidman

Just as a matter of interest do you have a WUTemp folder on your C drive? if so is there anything in it?? If so try deleting it and trying again.

I have just found the following suggestions as well.

Delete the C:\Windows\MsDownld.tmp folder.

Open your C:\Windows folder using My Computer or Windows Explorer.
Click on View in the toolbar and select Folder Options from the pop-up menu.
Select the View tab and then check off 'Show all files' in the Hidden Files section of Advanced Settings.
Click OK and close the Windows folder. Next, click the Start button, move up to the Find entry and select Files and Folders.
Set Look In to Local Hard Drives (if you do not have this option then select drive C:).
Type in Msdownld.tmp for named and then click on Find Now.
Delete the folder(s) that come up.
Enable ActiveX controls.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
Click Internet Options, or Internet if you have IE4, and then Click the Security tab.
For the Zone make sure you have "Internet" selected.
Click on the "Custom Level" button.
Select Enable for all ActiveX controls and plug-ins.
Click on "Always accept cookies" in the Cookies section.
Click on "Enable" for all options in the Downloads section.
Click on "Enable" for all options in the Scripting section.
Click OK.
Click on the "Trusted sites" icon.
Move the slider bar to Medium or lower.
Click on the "Sites" radio button at the top.
Make sure that the check box at the bottom labeled "Require server verification..." is unchecked.
In the Add box type " (without the quotes) and click "Add"
Repeat step 14 for "Click OK, then click OK again or until everything is closed.

Note: After completing the remaining steps and successfully visiting the Windows Update Site (hopefully), you should set your security back to medium for the Internet zone.
Un-register and remove the scripting engine for the Windows Update site.

Click Start, Run.
Type regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system\wuv3is.dll and click OK.
Click OK for the "... succeeded" message.
Click Start, Find, Files and Folders.
For the "Named" field type in wuv3is.dll. Make sure the "Look In" box is set to your C: drive first and then click the "Find Now" button.
When you see the file (wuv3is.dll) listed in the bottom window, right click the name and the click "Delete". Say yes to confirm delete.
Clear the Temporary Internet Files folder and remove site controls from Internet Explorer.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
Click Internet Options, or Internet if you have IE4, and then Click the General tab.
In the Temporary Internet Files section, click Delete Files.
In the History section, click Clear History.
Go back to the Temporary Internet Files section and click the Settings button.
Carefully select the View Objects button (NOT the View Files button).
Locate the CV3 Classes, Right-click on the file and choose Remove.
If you have a file called WuRedirInfoB Class remove this as well.
Close the Downloaded Program Files window.
Click OK back to the Control Panel.
Close the Control Panel.

(If you are connecting through a proxy server you will need to have the cache cleared from that also.)

Deletion of most of the key files from the Windows Update folder.

Click Start and then click Run.
Type "explorer" (without the quotation marks) in the dialogue box and click OK.
In the left-hand frame, click the '+' next to the Program Files folder.
In the left-hand frame, highlight the WindowsUpdate folder.
In the right pane highlight wuhistv3.log and click Edit > Invert Selection.
Press your Delete key (or right-click and select Delete). Click Yes to confirm.
Close all windows and reconnect to the Windows Update Site using Internet Explorer by typing in in IE's address bar and hitting enter.

or

The following is a list of possible solutions. For best results, follow the steps below as they are outlined:

Install a new Scripting Engine

Go to Click "x86" (located to the right of US English).
Click STE51en.exe (located at the bottom of the page).
Select the Save to Disk option and save the file to the default location.
Double-click the STE51en.exe icon located on your Desktop.
After the installation is complete, you may remove STE51en.exe from your Desktop by right-clicking the icon and clicking Delete.
Restart your computer and go to
Register the dynamic-link library (DLL) files that are associated with the Windows Update Web site and clear the Internet Explorer Cache and History.

Click Start and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 c:\windows\system\vbscript.dll and press ENTER.
Type regsvr32 c:\windows\system\mshtml.dll and press ENTER.
Open the Control Panel and click Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
In the Temporary Internet Files section, click Delete Files then click OK..
In the History section, click Clear History then click OK.

Disable or close all security and Internet acceleration software by one of the following methods.

Right-click the icon in the System Tray (default location is the right-hand side of the Windows Task Bar) that represents the software application and then choose Disable, Close, or Exit.
Press the CTRL + ALT + DEL keys simultaneously on your keyboard to bring up the Close Program dialog box. Highlight the application you want to close then click End Task. Repeat this for each security or Internet acceleration application, and then click Cancel to close the Close Program dialog box.
Contact the vendor of the software or visit their Web site for further information on disabling or closing the application.

AtGuard: PC-cillin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back