Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update sticks on looking for updates screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonb007

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
I have Windows XP Professional with SP1. When I run a Windows update, the Express Install and Custom Install screen is display. No matter which, option I choose, the next screen displays "Windows Update is looking for available updates" with the green bar moving from left to right. The PC sticks on this screen, constantly searching I presume. I updated to SP2 (from a CD), then ran a Windows Update, which gives the same results. Any views/solutions anyone?

hrmmm...I have had windows update hang a couple of times.

Are you using any web proxy? Try to bypass that with windows updates as that can sometimes cause a problem

Otherwise, lets delete some of the temp files
check your documents and settings user temp folder and delete everything inside. Also delete your windows\temp folder contents. Check each partition for a WUTemp folder and delete that. Empty your IE cache and then try windows update again. If that still doesnt work, check the microsoft site for help - they have some methods of switching around some files, which I dont remember off hand.

But in my experience, usually deleting the temp files is a good start

Another thing to try is

Click Start > Run > Type the following commands in the Open box (one at a time, in sequence):

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

After re-registering the files, try the Windows Update site again.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your info, tried so many suggestions, including the above and many from various websites. I think I may have solved the problem and am going to test this morning, will post results a.s.a.p.

Hi Everyone,

This is what I did to resolve the Windows Update searching for updates problem.

Started Windows XP in Safe Mode, go to the Windows folder and renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old

Rebooted PC and retried Windows Update. Updates worked !!

Worked for me, must be a corrupt download in the folder.

Hope this helps many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back