Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update site doesnt work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwmueller

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
Hi

I have recently had to reinstall Windows XP. Since doing so I cannot use the update function anymore. It gets to the stage of 'Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...' and just sits there.

Any ideas? I am running AOL 9 and use PC-Cillian antivirus.

Thanks

Hans

I use IE to run the update site. I did also try it with AOL but it does the same on both.

Several steps to start:

1. download updated Windows Update controls from: and save them to your desktop. Extract the .cab file following the steps below:

1. Go to the desktop and right click the iuctl.cab file.
2. Click "Open".
3. Select all the files listed.
4. Right click on them and click "Extract."
5. Point to a known location (like the desktop) and click "OK."
6. Go to the location you selected and right click the iuctl.inf file.
5. Click "Install."

2. Second stage, if necessary:

. Install the latest scripting engine 5.6 from:

. Disable the options "Automatically detect settings" and "Use automatic configuration script."
To do this:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
3. Click "Connections," and then click "LAN Settings."
4. Make sure the check boxes for "Automatically detect settings" and "Use automatic configuration script" are not selected.

Try to access the Windows Update site again.

. verify that you can connect to SSL-enabled Web sites (sites that start with
Most online retailers use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) sites during the checkout/payment process. If you've connected to one of these sites in the past then chances are that SSL is working correctly on your computer. You can also test your ability to connect to SSL sites using a SSL test site like this:

If you cannot connect to SSL sites then the Windows Update scan will not work. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your network.

Stage three:

Apply this Hotfix:

Stage 4: Reregister DLLs and rename store folders:

Hi

Firstly thanks for taking the time to give all of the above advice!

Right, I tried almost everything you suggested (almost as I couldnt get some of the things to work from stage 4). The first step resulted in Windows update saying I should download an update which I did. It then sat on 'Registering...100%' and did nothing more.

One thing I have noticed is that my communication port COM 1 is showing error 10. Does this have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back