Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update not working 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwise2112

MIS
May 26, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I've got a problem with Windows Update. It will stop on the screen where is says checking for available updates at 0%. It dosen't lock up, but simply stays at 0%.

I was thinking up updating to SP1, so I did that, but the problem remains. I have also followed the directions in but after downloading a new ActiveX control, the problem has not been solved.

Any ideas?

Are you using a burnt copy of XP........If so I believe that may be your problem

It only seems to be the Scan for Updates option.

I have enabled the option to view the link for the Windows Update Catalog under the Personalize Windows Update, and this works. It opens In fact, this is how I downloaded and installed SP1.

I'm running Sygate Personal Firewall (a requirement for my VPN access), but this has been running on the system long before this problem started.

I don't recall any significant changes since it last worked.

Thanks linney, you're indeed a star. I never thought to search Google Groups. I did find the answer here.

When my Windows Update opens the URL it is and will not work, however if I change it to
then it works fine. Note: HTTPS vs HTTP. I will search the registry, and see if there is an entry I can change for the URL.

Thanks Guys.

Just spent 2 evenings trying to sort this same problem, not been able to resolve & had just about given up.
The https seems to have done the trick!
I now have an update ongoing - will follow up if I have any more problems.

I had the same problem.

goto:

Internet options
Connections
LAN Settings

Make sure that everything under Automatic Configuration is unchecked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back