Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update Not Working Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnF

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2001
US
Hello,

I'm trying to make sure all machines are patched against the vulnerability exploited by the Bagle.Q through Bagle.T viruses are exploiting, but Windows Update is not working on any server or workstation with Windows 2000 or higher. I did find one client running Windows 98SE that was able to get through to Windows update. Anyone else having this problem? I've been trying for a couple hours to get all patches installed because I feel it's urgent, but it seems unusual for Windows Update to stop working for this long.

The exact error I get is as follows (note that I can access anything else on the Internet just fine):

"Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. Network problems are preventing connection to the Windows Update servers. Please try again later.

If you continue to see this error, contact your network administrator.

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows Update."

Working just fine for me.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I got the same error until I adjusted the access filters in my Symantec firewall. After I adjusted the filters, I could download the updates just fine. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back