Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows update not installing updates on 2 computers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boulder38

Technical User
Nov 26, 2005
Hi
I have upgraded 2 computers (1 due to motherboard breaking and the other due to customer wanting to upgrade the computer) and have upgraded the installation of xp to work with the new motherboards.

after upgrading xp, i installed all the motherboard drivers with no problems.

when i went to update windows through the update windows website all the updates failed to install on both computers.

i have reinstalled windows from a different disk to no avail.

also the internet explorer icon on the desktop, when it was clicked it would create another shortcut on the desktop rather than opening!

anybody experienced this before??

Thanks Luke

Update: windows installer 3.1 and the genuine notification tool has been installed but the next 100 or so wont install they jus come up saying failed!

Hi Luke,

Try this:

1. Enter the Command Line Interface.
2. Change directory to C:\Windows\System32
3. Run the regsvr32.exe program on the following files:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

This should re-register all the Windows Update files.
HTH

Shaun (A+, N+)

Hi

you aare exactly right, found it on another forum while searching through and few minutes ago went through tried it and are updating as i type!

Thanks
Luke

No problem and thanks for the star.

All the best

Shaun (A+, N+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back