Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update just doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrumdata

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2003
US
On one of my 8 machines, I have lost the ability to update. I can scan OK, the updates download then I immediately go to the "unable to be successfully updated" screen.

There is no error. The WindowsUpdate.log is empty. I know I'm missing something but can't figure out what.

I've deleted the SoftwareDistribution directory and it's recreated. I've even reinstalled IE6 thinking it was a problem there but nothing works.

I have no problem manually installing the downloads once they arrive.

This happened a year or so ago and there was a registry tweak (notifier perhaps?) that fixed it.

Any help will be appreciated.
John

Somewhere on the "unable to be successfully updated" screen there is a contact Microsoft option (dont remember where as I haven't seen it for a while)

Fill in and send details of your problem, they will contact you and work to resolve the problem free of charge

Bypassing the proxy server sometimes works too

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at:

Nope, no Contact Microsoft anything. I found the problem though. SensLogn was disabled. Starting it up again solved the issue.

As I said earlier, the screen I get had NOTHING at all about why, what, who or how the update could not be installed.

I hate those "error" messages that just say "Something is wrong." Worse than useless.

Thanks for the reply,
John

Senslogn is an advertising program by AbetterInternet Spyware. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

It is not a native Windows service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back