Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update Fails Error 0x8007007E

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgiovannelli

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
IT
Hi,
I've this problem whwn I connect to windows update.
I've try all this solution that I've found in windows support:

-----""You receive error message 0x8007007e when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web site
Si applica a
SYMPTOMS
When you try to use Microsoft Internet Explorer to update Windows from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site ( you may receive the following error message:

Error 0x8007007e
CAUSE
This problem may occur if Active Setup is not working correctly. You receive the error message because several files are not registered correctly.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Inseng.dll in the Open box, and then click OK. When you receive the RegSvr32 confirmation that the DllRegisterServer function succeeded, click OK.
Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll in the Open box, and then click OK. When you receive the RegSvr32 confirmation that the DllRegisterServer function succeeded, click OK.
Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Ole32.dll in the Open box, and then click OK. When you receive the RegSvr32 confirmation that the DllRegisterServer function succeeded, click OK.
Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Urlmon.dll in the Open box, and then click OK. When you receive the RegSvr32 confirmation that the DllRegisterServer function succeeded, click OK.
Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Mssip32.dll in the Open box, and then click OK. When you receive the RegSvr32 confirmation that the DllRegisterServer function succeeded, click OK.
Start Internet Explorer, and then update Windows from the Windows Update Web site (If you still experience the problem, remove the Windows Update Setup Files folder. To do so, follow these steps:
Locate the following folder:
Drive:\Windows Update Setup Files

Right-click the Windows Update Setup Files folder, click Delete, and then click Yes.
Install the latest version of Internet Explorer. To do so, visit the following Microsoft Web site.

Thanks in advance

Roberto

Suggestion 1

Follow the instructions below to register URLMON.DLL:
1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. In the "Run" dialog box, type "REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL" (w/o the quotes) and then click "OK." You should see a popup message that this process succeeded.
3. Try the Windows Update site and see if you still get the error.

Suggestion 2

Run the Internet Explorer Repair Tool using the instructions below:
1. Click "Start," point to "Settings," and then click "Control Panel."
2. Double-click "Add or Remove Programs."
3. On the "Install/Uninstall" tab, click "Microsoft Internet Explorer."
4. Click "Add/Remove," click "Repair the current installation of Internet Explorer," and then click "OK."

Suggestion 3

Try installing the current version of the Microsoft XML Parser. The current version is MSXML Parser 3.0 SP2 and it can be downloaded from this link:

NOTE: This link is rather long so make sure part of the link's text hasn't wrapped onto a new line of text.

You can also search for this download at Microsoft's Download Center. Here is the link:

After the installation try the Windows Update site and see if you get the error.

Hi bcastner,
I've tried all this solution but the result is the same.

My windows 2000 istallation is in italian language.
These are the last lines of my windows update log file:

2004-09-16 11:38:46 09:38:46 Success IUCTL Downloaded iuident.cab from to C:\Programmi\WindowsUpdate\V4
2004-09-16 11:38:46 09:38:46 Success IUCTL Current iuengine.dll version: 5.4.3790.21
2004-09-16 11:38:46 09:38:46 Success IUCTL Current iuctl.dll version: 5.4.3790.20

It seems that aren't any errors but when I connect, the response is (it is in italian but it's clear):

-----Errore di Windows Update

Impossibile visualizzare la pagina richiesta a causa di un errore.

Per informazioni sui servizi di Windows Update selezionate una delle seguenti pagine oppure scriveteci.

Home Page Windows Update
Informazioni su Windows Update
Informazioni sul supporto

In caso di problemi con Windows Update, è anche possibile ottenere supporto in linea.

Invia numero di errore a Microsoft (0x8007007E)------

Thanks in advance.

Roberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back