Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
US
I have been trying to install this update "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista (KB963027)" since the 14th of April. Every time I try to install it I get this "Code 80070643 Windows update encountered an unknown error". Can anyone help with this error?

Have you tried to download and install the update manually or just through Windows/Microsoft Update?

- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB963027)

Try out the steps in the following KB link to enable Microsoft Installer logging. Post back the actual error codes that Windows Installer generates or contact Microsoft and provide them with the information to assist you.

- You receive error code 0x80070643 or error code 0x643 when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates

Open a free support incident with Microsoft.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Have you tried disabling (temporarily) anti virus and other security software such as Windows Defender? Temporally disabling UAC? Temporarily enabling the built-in Administrator and using that to install the update?

Using MsConfig to temporarily stop all startup programs and non-Microsoft services?

Try.....

"Method 1: Rename the Edb.log file"
"Method 4: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services"
"Method 5: Remove the hidden attribute from %Windir% and from its subfolders"
"Method 6: Set non-driver signing policy to silently succeed"
"Method 10: Empty the software distribution folder"

You cannot install some updates or programs

IllogicallyLogical, I have tried to install it both ways with the same results. I have also used the logger and it returns the same error.

Have you tried cleaning out your Temporary Internet Files, including Cookies, Browsing History etc?

Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files

Type %temp% in the Start Run box and delete what temporary files Windows allows you to.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back