Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows update error: Updates were unable to be successfully installed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grofaty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
SI
Hi,

When downloading windows updates in our company, updates can't be downloaded instread of that I get error message: "Updates were unable to be successfully installed".

I have asked network administrator to see if there are some restrictions on firewall, but he said that
he can't see my IP connecting throught firewall.

But at home I can dowlnoad windows updates.

So I think there should be problem in some settings in my company. Does someone has some idea what to check out in our company?

Thanks,
Grofaty

You can get a better idea of what the problem is by checking out the "error code" number that appears at the top right after the Windows Update fails. In my case, I was getting a "0x80072efe" or a "0x80072efd" error.

After much googling, I found an article steering me to look at the settings in ISA server.

Check out the "More Information" section to add the appropriate sections in the ISA server configuration to allow Windows Update.

This other article states that you may need to run "Proxycfg -u" on all workstations after the ISA settings have been added, but in my case, I didn't need to.

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
regsvr32 /u softpub.dll
regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /u initpki.dll
regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll
exit

Note Click OK if you are prompted.
4. Restart your computer.
5. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
6. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc
exit

Reboot and test.

I've seen this error before; the solution I found was to clear some room on the C: drive. The drive had no free space available to run the updates.

I fixed this error by doing a
proxycfg -p
But, it depends on which error you're getting exactly. The windowsupdate website actually should have a log where you can see the updates that did not install and their error numbers.

________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

jasen,
this was excellent tip.

I solve my problem with command on Command Prompt:
1. proxycfg -u
2. restart Windows
3. windows update

Note:
Settings in Internet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | LAN settings button | Proxy server fraime must be set before executing above command.

Thanks,
Grofaty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back