Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Update download problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyWeasel

Programmer
Feb 11, 2003
CA
Here's the problem. PLEASE read carefully.

I can get to the Windows Update site. It scans fully for the available updates. I can then choose from the available updates.

Once I pick one or two, and go to "Install Now", the License Agreement comes up (still normal at this point).

I select yes. The download window appears. I could sit here for days and the download will still be at 0%.

I haven't lost a connection. At the same time, I can still access other sites and download from them.

Very weird.

Didn't work. Using Cable connection. None of the AOL crap.

If it comes down to it you might have to reinstall your OS. Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Here's an old Windows 98 MSK for what it is worth.

193657 - Troubleshooting Windows Update Connection and Download Problems.

Here you can choose and save your downloads to disk. Then you can try and install them later.

Check your Internet Options, Connections tab, Lan Settings button, make sure nothing is checked (unless it needs to be, but probably not).

All very good and relevant ideas, but none of them have worked.

Some more links and ideas followed by a repair option for IE6.

The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4. However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available, and it may be necessary to Update IE6 afterwards.

Using SFC /Scannow at the command prompt will help in repairing IE.

go to Start -> Run -> type cmd and click OK. At a command prompt type each of the following lines followed by the Enter key:

net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc

Then type exit at the next prompt and Enter. Then reboot.

You are renaming the CatRoot2 folder and a new one will be generated. Try to install the update again. If this doesn't work, you can always delete the newly generated CatRoot2 folder, and take the old prefix off the old renamed folder.

In Internet Explorer> Tools, click Internet Options, and then click Languages.... If this box is empty, add at least one language -- your usual national language. If you happen to have 2 or more, move English up on this list.

Tried everything except re-installing.

Too bad Netscape can't access Windows Update. :(

WallyWeasel/Naylorjj,

Does this happen EVERY time (ie, how many attempts before you give up?) Occasionally I've 'installed' the same M$ update over a dozen times before its taken.

I had a problem where after rolling XP back to a restore point windows kept trying to install an update that wouldn't install. I just tried haaba01's method and it seems to have installed it now. Thanks haaba01.

In response to wolluf, I can't install them if it won't download them.

I cant even download updates for XP Pro. I get to the update page and it says 'scanning for latest update software' then I get an access denied message. I have changed my group policy settings to allow updates, but it still wont give me access to it. The Office update site works fine.

WallyWeasel,

I meant including all the times I got the download window up and nothing happens. If this happens now, I cancel it after a minute or so and try again. If after 5 or 6 attempts nothing, leave it for a few hours and try again.

PS. Have you tried the corporate site, where you can download to a locsation on your machine & then install later?

I had a similar problem that was corrected by disabling a Pop-up stopper program I was running.

Squrl79. If you need to change your product key there is a much easyer way way of doing it. Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back