Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Upates (push out to users)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robros

Programmer
May 22, 2001
US
Hello Again
I would like to know how I can have my Server push out to the users when they log in to the domain all the current MS updates that are alvailable at that time.Any Ideas

Thanks in Advance

No actually that is what I was thinking I would have to do I was just unsure if there was not some other way.
Do you know of a place that has them prefab for that type of need.

I'm not to sure, but for what you want to accomplish it's easy enough to just do it through a batch file. If your unsure of how to do this let me know.

Never have created a batch file before..New to this whole thing was tossed into this role after the Network Admin was fired.

Batch Files 101...

Basically a batch file is file containing a bunch of DOS commands that are executed in sequence when the file is run. So for your purpose here's a vanilla example of what you want to do. Of course there are some additional things to consider but try the following for the time being and get back to me...

1. Open up Notepad
2. Add the following command lines to the file

@ECHO OFF
START C:\Updates\msupdate.exe

NOTE: Of course the path I used above will have to be altered to reflect the path that points to the update .exe

3. Save file with a .bat extension to the following directory C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\sysvol\scripts. Make sure that you select All Files from the Save As Type list box or else it will add the .txt extension to the end, in which case the batch file won't execute.

4. Now open the user account and and goto the profile tabe... key in the name of the batch file (eg. name.bat) into the Login Script field.

5. Log the user on and the batch file should execute.

Keep me posted.

Thank you very much
I will attempt that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back