Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows to Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

EstebanGiron

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
US
Let me explain my question, my client has a Novell 3.11 network which administers 20 DOS 5.0 PCs. These machines run an English Tutor Program from the server, they want my company to work out a way to remote access the tutor program, so people can use it from home with their Windows- based PCs. Is there a way of doing it? If so, how? I feel they have to connect the server to the Internet, but I need more advice. Thanks in advance.

Esteban A. Girón V.
Web Application Developer
Northwest Data Link, S.A.
Panama

I have just completed a simular concept using a TCP/IP server. The Novell should work the same way. I placed a Cisco 800 Series Router after the HUB and connected it to the internet using an ISDN line. The router holds the firewall software and within the router are the access translation tables allowing connection to the LAN via login and password plus the IP address. The router must be programmed specifically for IPX/SPX conversations and not TCP/IP (excess packet broadcasts from the Netware protocol will cause havoc if the router can't handle IPX/SPX properly). Much care must be taken in the security and firewall setup. Depending on the sensitivity of the data I wouldn't skimp on the router or firewall.

Could you please tell me more about your project? I'm from Panama, and here there aren't many, say, experts in networking, so I'm lacking help. Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back