Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookcr

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
Good afternoon,

I would like to sync my W2k3 serever (DC) with a Cisco Router to sync time. Is this possible.

Thanks in advance.

net time /setsntp:"time.server.here"

if indeed your cisco router allows you to use it as a time server.. (not familiar with that schtuff)

net time /querysntp

Use this to test to make sure that worked.

Good luck!

Cstorms, Thanks I have been through that piece with no luck. Jemckinney.I will try this link shortly. Thanks

Jemckinney,

My routers all sync to each other and keep accurate time. I need my Windows servers to talk to the same router that is acting as a time server and allow windows to pull time from it.

Thanks

Once your routers are configured, you would just need to point your windows machines to your router(s) for syncronization via regedit or a gpo. Just remember if you use a router DNS entry to include router.name;0x1. If you use the routers IP address, the 0x1 is not required. I would, however, like to state that this may not be the best scenario. Perhaps make one of your windows server an NTP server itself.

I was trying to make my DC the time server for my workstations and pulling its time from my router. When I do a w32tm /resync /rediscover it displays a message no time data is available. I understand windows uses SNTP but I thought the server would still connect to the NTP and query the info needed.

My only other option is to try and open a NTP port on my firewall for my server to get info.

Have you tried using both the DNS_entry;0x1 and the IP address entered manually into your PDC domain controller (the one that controls the forest) and tried the resync command? I understand why you wish to use this method. Another option would be to possibly put a linux box in your DMZ and configure it to be an NTP server for your internal network. It doesn't require a heafty machine.

Got it working. The solutions was almost to simple.

Went into group policy turned the server option to disabled and set the client to on. Configured the client is GP to talk to the router using NTP and bingo. Took right off.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back