Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows System State Backup Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcraig49

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
US
I need to reformat and re-configure my RAID Array for RAID 5 on a Windows 2000 Server that's currently my Active Directory controller. I'm wondering if the Windows System State backup would benefit me when I reinstall the OS or should I just start it over from scratch?

Any ideas or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Craig

YES! Unless you are sadistic and like wasting time rebuilding all those users and groups and assigning permissions to all those files and shares...

You should do a FULL backup of the server. The only thing you may have to keep new is c:\boot.ini which will define the boot partition with respect to your new raid configuration.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Thanks for the reply Seaspray. That looks like the way to go. Most of my backups are done with tape and really only consist of file backups. I've never done a full "system state" backup before. Can you piont me in a direction that might outline the backup as well as the restore operation?

Thanks again,
Craig

If you use the windows backup programme, then use the wizard and from what to backup option, choose only the system state or if you want to backup the entire c drive and the system state, then you select back up selected files,drive or network option but remember to check the system state before completing the wizard.
By the way, as you said you only back up files have you tried to restore a file to ensure that backup files can be restored. You have to make sure you can restore files from the tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back