Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows stopped remembering wireless Network Key 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhasmail

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi everyone,
I’m having a problem with my Windows 7 Pro. 64bit.
I reinstalled Win 7 and added a bunch of my programs and my files etc.
Everything was working fine and my wireless internet access was fine also.
**BUT** seems like there’s always a **BUT** in these forums.
out of the blue windows stopped remembering my network key, so I have to enter it every time I restart. Also when I right click a network in the available networks box, properties option is not there anymore. It WAS there when windows was remembering the key.
The only thing I can think of that I did before this started was that I had added “Take Ownership” to my right click menu and then applied “Take ownership” to every folder in the root directory. Later on when my system restarted is when I noticed the problem. It didn’t automatically connect.
If this is the problem, does anyone know how I can fix it, or should I just go ahead and just reload my system again and NOT take ownership of everything.
Any help/advice will be appreciated.
danny
[mad]

ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme-Intel i7 930 CPU-6GB Corsair RAM-MSI N470GTX Video-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA 3 + WD 1TB SATA 3-Windows 7 64bit Pro.-Antec 1200 Case with Antec 750W PSU

First of all, you are correct that reassigning ownership of system folders is not a good idea. It defeats the purpose of User Access Control (UAC) that is a built-in protection mechanism that helps prevent simple malware and virus attacks. Before you reload, you can try to disable UAC just to see if the error goes away. Go to Start and type "UAC" and press enter. Slide the slider button all the way down, click OK, and reboot.

If that fixes your issue, then it'll get you by for now, but it would be a good idea to eventually reload the OS or attempt to correct the ownership assignments you altered (reloading will probably save you the time and hassle). With UAC off, you are at more risk especially when you're not working on a network behind a corporate firewall.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Try removing your current network profile entry and see if a new profile takes

Vince
ASAP Member (VopThis) - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

thanks for all the help and advice.
I'm gonna check out cdogg's temp fix just to see if it works, but I've come to realize that I better just reinstall and forget about taking ownership of everything this time.
thanks again for your input and I hope everyone has a good NEW YEAR
danny

ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme-Intel i7 930 CPU-6GB Corsair RAM-MSI N470GTX Video-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA 3 + WD 1TB SATA 3-Windows 7 64bit Pro.-Antec 1200 Case with Antec 750W PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back