Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Stop Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBtheFox

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
Staring three days ago, my computer began to randomly crash. There is no set time pattern for the crash, and no way to predict it. No blue screen and no error message, just a crash and reset.

If I run a Crash Analysis, I receive one of two messages, the first is one saying that my video adapter device driver is not working and I either need to reduce the output of my graphics card or get the latest driver for it. I have a Radeon 9800 ATI Technolies card, and have gone through and downloaded a new driver and reduced the graphics output. I thought this would solve it.

But it continued. About that time I installed a new Logitech SetPoint keyboard and mouse, and decided that was the cause, once I stopped getting the video adapor message, and started getting an <i>unknown</i> driver error. I downloaded the 2.6 version of their driver, and that worked for a good six hours.

Then another crash, back to the video adapter device driver error analysis.

Has anyone come across this problem before, any ideas/suggestions on what could have caused it? I've run three virus scans and have not installed any hardware or softwear other than the wireless mouse and keyboard in the last three months.

Thank you for any and all help. :)

Sorry, forgot to include: I have the install disks from both my card and my keyboard/mouse, and I have installed drivers from the disk and drivers that I've downloaded online.

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Is your machine overheating?

Is there any Bios problems, perhaps an Update is available, or just resetting it to Safe Defaults?

Is this a regular 9800 Pro or All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro (I have the later)?

I would suggest aswell, to list all the important info on the PC, ie. PSU, RAM installed, CPU type, etc... the more info the better the solution...

as I have seen similar things that where totally unrelated, ie. PSU underpowered...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back