Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows stop error 0x00000024

Status
Not open for further replies.

24Peaches

Technical User
Dec 13, 2001
US
Windows XP won't load..Once it passes the winxp flash screen it shows the blue screen with stop error message..It will not go into safe mode or anything else you choose except the bios..I ran a check on the hard drive & memory which was fine and scanned drive with anti-virus software using the ultimate boot cd...

HP Dv5115nr
Windows XP MCE
2gb ram

If you are trying to link a Photo you seem to have taken a wrong turn along the way. You need to supply a direct (URL) to Photos\2010-07-26-1548-38\imag0042.

Which method of Disk checking did you use?

Try running ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software that is bootable, or that may even run from within Windows, that will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive.

See if there are any clues in these.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

* General Discussion {KB 228888} Win 2000, Win XP
* Caused by Open Handles while closing an application {KB 195857} Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP
source: aumha.org

see :

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

skip down to How to use the Recovery Console

from there you can run CHKDSK ...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

This is the exact stop error message I received 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8a353148, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

after changing boot sequence to cdrom. I restarted the laptop and ran chkdsk with the recovery console. I then ran chdsk /p to let it run a check on the drive anyway. When it was done I exited the program & restarting the laptop. I received the same stop error message. What can be done to resolve this issue other than re-installing windows, because I don't have the recovery disk which came pre-installed on laptop.

Do you have a recovery partition on the laptop, what is the make and model number of it? What does your manual say about recovery options, or the manufacturer's website? If you don't have the recovery partition then you may need to approach the manufacturer about getting a duplicate recovery CD.

Did you try this more thorough checking method "The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software that is bootable, or that may even run from within Windows, that will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive." If you have a bad hard drive then that needs to be rectified or replaced before any reinstall.

24Peaches,

If you're able to burn an ISO image to a CD, then you can download burn it to CD, and boot your laptop from that. Then from its boot menus, you can select the correct drive manufacturer's diagnostics as well as many other tools.

If you do not know for sure your hard drive manufacturer, you may can look in the BIOS settings to find it. However one definite way for sure is to turn the laptop off, flip it over, and open the hard drive bay. Look at the drive, write down the info if necessary (name and model # should suffice), and close it back up. If your hard drive is more difficult to get to, you may prefer to just look in the BIOS settings.

Yeah - let's hear as to whether the MANUFACTURER'S hard drive test has been run from the UBCD.

If you have to, somebody will have a Win XP CD that you can borrow. You may lose any bundled/pre-installed software "bonuses" that they include from the factory, but at least you can get your machine running and it will probably run faster without all the gratuitous software.

Borrow a CD >>> A repair install is a possibility also.

Before you bother trying to reload, make sure memory and hard drive have been tested. And, since you have the UBCD, you might run some of the processor tests, video tests, etc. just to see that your motherboard/processor/video aren't having a problem. I would even unplug the hard drive during those tests as it's not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back