Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows SP3 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkmail

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
Has anone had issues after installing SP3? Namely downloading files from the Internet and getting a 404 eror and installing new programs.

Thanks,
BM

I've heard of errors with SP3, but I have it on one server without problems. I haven't tried downloading any files since it was put on however. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

No issues with downloading or internet access.
However, my print spooler stops suddenly at least 5 times a week.
When I uninstalled SP3 the print spooler was fine, however I had major issues with my users profiles. It was better to have the printing issues rather than the profile issue, so I reinstalled SP3 and am (im)patiently waiting for a fix.

Jesus quess what i wont be adding to any of my servers this wekend ! Thanks for the info , wow sp3 what a Mess.......................... Anthony Cabanas (MCSE Win 2K)
Network admin / Infrastructure designer / Security consultant
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

That's not a joke. I've left it alone. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Well.... I got an email from MS last week accepting me into their W2K SP4 Beta Testing Program.
I'll let you know what I find out.

Corie

My advice is don't touch any server with SP3.

Ash.

Tahoe2:

What exact profile problems have you had?

In my setup after SP3, after I create a new user account in AD USERS and Computers - when log-on to the server using XP Pro clients my profile is locked. I cannot modify it at all unless I make the NEW user an ADMIN in my XP Pro client.

Never had this problem with SP2.

I have sp3 on a win2k pro machine, and it crashed when printing to a shared printer until i reinstalled the drivers. I will NEVER put sp3 on any of my servers Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

geeze.. I guess I'm the only one here on this thread that hasn't had any 'ANY' issues installing sp3. Since the installs our networks both lan and wan have significantly improved. Our log files have cleared up dramatically and mostly show information only. I administer many servers from Dell to homebrew.. single processors to multiple processors. If you haven't installed sp3 by now you're way behind the power curve and honestly missing out on security patches, etc. On my 1st install of sp3 I was floored!.. I have been known to make the remark "Now this is how Windows 2000 was suppose to run!"

~Rick

The plan was upgrade from SBS4.5 to SBS2000 (run for a month) then migrate off onto 2 Win2k servers and switch off SBS2000

This all went to plan until i applied SP3 to the SBS2000 machine 'It went POP!'

I am just so glad that i backed the machine up before i started!

Running with 2 Servers absolutly perfectlry now (SBS is off)

No way i'm gonna apply SP3 though

I've been told that unless you un-install every patch you've put on before you install sp3, you will get grief. I haven't seen that on the MS site though. I'm leaving it alone. The one server I have it on was put on by a consultant the boss hired, and when I asked him not to, he did it anyway. Said MS wouldn't talk to us without it. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

The only server i know of that runs ok with sp3 is one where it was installed new and sp3 was the first thing installed. That server was fine. I even setup a test AD controller, installed sp2 and all the sp2 patches, then sp3 (wich is how my production servers are) and it crashed. Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Here were my problems after sp3.

1.I was unable to download any files from the Internet.
2.Sites with port 443 is unreachable.
3.Unable to install new programs. Even Office. Said I do not have permissions to the config.msi file.

I'm not sure but it maybe that all I need to do is edit some things in the sec policy but I am not that savy on W2K.

Thanks,

BM

Strange, i've also had no problems with SP3. Infact my two domain controllers are performing better since the upgrade. Haven't had the download files problem either.

I also have SP3 running on about 50 Win2K pro machines. All are running fine.

I have SP3 running on 250 servers now, because our team have identified no high-impact issues at all. Indeed, as others seem to have noticed, performance overall seems a bit better. All servers were previously SP2 with several hotfixes/security patches.

There is a good list of issues to be aware of over at - but nothing insurmountable, IME.

Downloading and internet port issues sound firewall/proxy related to me.

My $0.02 CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

This is certainly a mix and match thread. Congrats to all of you who haven't had problems. Condolinces to all who have. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Not proxy or firewall issue.

Thanks, everyone who posted.

BM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back