Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Shares disappear on server reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geographers

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
We have a very strange problem we would like to get to the bottom of.
We have three W2k servers all running SP3. When the Servers are rebooted some of the shares disappear and have to be recreated. It is not the same share every time and it can be any number of the shares that do this. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas what could be causing it. There are no messages in the event logs about folders not being accessable or shares no being able to be recreated. We are reduced to exporting the lists of shares before we reboot the servers and checking to make sure they are all there when they are back up.

Unfortunately I can't help you, but wanted to let you know we're in the same boat. It's only one of our servers that's doing it. It's win2k w/sp3 also. We were going to reinstall the service pack just to try SOMETHING. I've been unable to find any documentation on this either. So if anyone else has stumbled on how to fix this if would be much appreaciated.

Thanks,

Bullbaiter1 the shares in question were on a SAN connected using fiber NICs. We had cause to totally rebuild the SAN to recover some lost space and when we recreated the shares the problem went away and has not come back. Sorry I can't offer you any other information on how to fix it.

Thanks Geographers!
Ours is hooked up the same way (external array connected via fiber). We're wondering if maybe windows is trying to create a share before the controller comes up and it can't see the drive. I have a feeling we'll be rebuilding ours as well.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Guys. Are you guys on a cluster? If so, are you using Cluster Admin to create the shares? If not, when you reboot one server the other takes control but donest know of the resource? Hence, when the initial server comes online, the share is deleted.

It took an idiot (my boss) to tell me that and now I feel like a goose. Problem Solved.

Hi Guys.

Just hold me down and flog me with a Linux disc. We ARE on a cluster and Iwasn't making the shares using the slucter admin.

All Fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back