Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Services & Permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bundyld

Programmer
Oct 2, 2001
US
Hello all, I am having a problem with launching a command line executable from a java servlet through tomcat. If I have tomcat started as a system service my servlet can not launch the command prompt executable to run my application. However if I turn the tomcat service off and start tomcat through the /bin startup.bat the servlet has no problems launching the cmd.exe and running my app. Can someone please give me some help as to where/what permissions need to be set for tomcats service so that it can execute the cmd when started as a system service?

Thank you in advance,
Lance

Could you please explain what you are refering too in more detail?

Sorry for the trouble

If you are using specific accounts created to launch the service. You will need to configure your local policy on the machine.

Say you have an account you have created to run a service and the account is called serviceacct then you will run your local policy editor on the server and find Log On As A Batch Job and grant domain\serviceacct the Log On As A Batch Job rights.

Remember though all services do not require the exact same permissions. It depends on the application and what the service written for the applications is doing. The best way to find out exactly what the service requires is to ask the vendor of the application in order for you to grant ONLY what is needed. The more rights you grant to a service account then the more vulnerabilities you can expose for your server to be attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back