Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows service installation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejfatman

Programmer
Jan 24, 2002
US
Hi, I am having problems installing a service I coded.

Per I've added a project installer to it with a serviceProcessInstaller and serviceInstaller using the "Add Installer" option on the service. I then added a Setup project to the solution, added my service project as the primary project output. I built my service project, and then the setup project with no issues.

However, after I go thru the installation process and get a message indicating it was installed successfully, the service does not show up in the Services window under administrative tools. It does show up under add/remove programs.

I'm kind of baffled. I've successfully coded/installed a service before, but that was a couple years back. I looked at the installer/setup for this old service, and I can see no inconsistancies. I uninstalled and reinstalled the old service, and it works fine.

I even coded the exact example in , but I get the exact same issue; it 'installs' but does not show up under services. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

I'm using Visual Studios 2005 by the way. Any help would be appreciated.

it installs as a windows service.
right click my computer.
select manage
expand services and applications
click services

the service will be listed there.

If you want it to show up in the start menu then you would need to provide this in the installer. I've never done anything like this though.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Never mind, I figured it out. I guess the 'custom actions' portion of the doc confused me. I skipped that thinking I did not have any custom actions. I didn't realize you need to add your primary output there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back