Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2008 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

schomberg

Vendor
Jan 2, 2011
CA
Helping a non-tech (not that I am cognizant with W2008 either) to install & config an '08 server
Any and all insights are appreciated as I am over my head.

Can't get an XP Pro machine to join domain -have not tried any other client yet.

Router IP is 192.168.0.1 and is still set to DHCP enabled

Internet NIC set to static:
IP Add: 192.168.0.20
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.19

Network NIC set to:
IP Add: 192.168.0.19
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: empty
Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.19

Current state:
ADDS role installed

DHCP role installed
IPv4 Scope = 192.168.2.50 to 192.168.2.100
Haven't set a scope for IPv6 - don't know if this should be the same or different from IPv4 ?

DNS role installed and "listening to all" including 192.168.0.20
Does this address need to be included in 006 DNS Server Name? (currently it has 127.0.0.1, but I thought that was altered ? (Im new to this)
There are 2 DNS warnings as well:

First warning:
Log Name: DNS Server
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Server-Service
Date: 10/27/2012 1:19:59 PM
Event ID: 4013
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed.

Second warning:
Log Name: DNS Server
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Server-Service
Date: 10/27/2012 11:29:06 AM
Event ID: 409
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The DNS server list of restricted interfaces contains IP addresses that are not configured for use at the server computer.

Use the DNS manager server properties, interfaces dialog, to verify and reset the IP addresses the DNS server should listen on. For more information, see "To restrict a DNS server to listen only on selected addresses" in the online Help.

If you are going to use your server as a router, then the IP addressing needs to be in completely different subnets. This is not your case as both IP addresses are part of the same subnet. Also, is there a reason for the use of both NICs? If your thinking was redundancy, then you would need to use the cards software to create a NIC team. Your NICs might not have that ability and there is nothing built into the OS to make that happen.

With the 2 NIC's we have internet coming in on one, the second out to the switch

We've adjusted the internet incoming to be 192.168.20.1 static IP through another router with this address and will change the internet NIC to the same

My question is more towards the DNS settings - any suggestions are welcome of course!

Do the client computers have their DNS server set to the IP of the Server 2008? Should be 192.168.0.19 and then it will allow you to "see" and join the domain.

PROBLEMS I SEE:
Router IP is 192.168.0.1 and is still set to DHCP enabled
Make sure you have only one DHCP server enabled on the network. It wasn't clear to me if you DISABLED DHCP on the router and are using the server. Regardless, either one can handle it but one must be disabled.

192.168.2.50 to 192.168.2.100
This has to be typo or else you are really screwed up. The scope needs to be 192.168.0.50 - 192.168.0.100
Check one of your clients and post the IPCONFIG /ALL output so we can see. Forget about IPV6 for now.

no clients are joined as of yet (part if the issue of course)
I'll change the DHCP scope as noted (obvious in hindsight having stepped away from it)

We planned on having another static router between the internet & the server set at something like 192.168.2.1
Doing this in order to not change their router, wireless, etc etc

Once the networking is "correct", the most important things is that the clients have the a DNS entry (the only entry needed) that is the IP address of the domain controller.

Getting all kinds of errors (ADDS, DNS DHCP)
Getting errors like namespace cant cross different forests or something, tried to install namespace service and at the end it says, sorry use the plugin vs the wizard, yet it shows as installed and cant be removed without removing ADDS first, so I am going to start from scratch

I am planning on essentially following this walkthrough I found
I'd like any opinions first
This should be really easy should it not?

I don't think we know where you are at this point. Why don't you give us a whole new summary of how things are set up so far with IP addresses, DHCP scope and what device is running DHCP. I'd almost say to take DHCP off the server for now and run it on the router at least until you can get the domain/dns straightened out. The more variables you have, the harder to troubleshoot.

I've started from scratch - repartition & reinstall the OS
Running into all kinds of new issues, (even though I did the same thing prior and got much further ahead)

Here's the scenario

incoming internet is DHCP, we're trying to put another static router off that to the server at 192.168.1.1

using the same basic settings for ADDS, DNS, DHCP noted in

What do you think of this?
Thanks
Joe

You know, you just aren't giving much information (new issues - what issues?). Put some meat on the bone, but first describe exactly the setup you have in terms of physical equipment, why you want it that way and then how you want the network to be configured from a logical standpoint.

Like this:
Router (internal ip address) (running dhcp?? - range??) >> Switch >> Server NIC 1 (ip address).

If you look at these articles, they don't recommend a multi-homed server 2008 domain controller. Why not drop the multi-homed aspect and it will be a snap.

This is something I wasnt aware of (multi homed issues)

At this point I have the server at my place and I'm in the position to do anything with it, it is sitting with a clean install of Server '08 and no roles installed, all updates are complete

The hardware includes:
- Windows Server 08 w/ten cals - meets system requirements and then some
- Modem with DHCP running (as I understand this can be maintained)and I dont need to use DHCP on the server?
- 16 Port Cisco unmanaged Switch
3 Client machines soon to be running Win Pro Premium (Home editions right now)

What needs to be done is simply sharing 1 program on the server HVAC job costing & billing system built in MS Access
and sharing a printer, along with internet

back in the days I always used 2 nics but apparently this isnt the way any more at least

Let me know if you need more info etc

Thanks again
Joe

If you look at the two pages (below) first, you can follow it along and you'll be all set. First set up a static IP address on one network card, disable the other network cards in Device Manager and then create the domain/dns per the links below. You will then be able to add the workstations to the domain provided you put the DNS of the server as the workstation's ONLY DNS entry. I just did this a few weeks ago and it went very smoothly. I have the DHCP permanently running on our Cisco RV042 router.

I would leave the DHCP on the router until you get things working and then you could experiment with adding the DHCP role to the server and disable it on the router.

just an update - running fine - thank you all for the advise a& links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back