Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS SERVER 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

offmyrocker

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2003
AU
Hi,

How do I enable the windows firewall on server 2003. I need the one that covers the whole network.

Windows Server 2003 does not have a firewall like Windows XP. Unless you have ISA a standard Windows server has no firewall whatsoever and cannot protect a network.

2003 does have a firewall to protect itself (the same firewall as XPsp2) but i don't think it can be used to protect a network unless you had ICS enabled. In that situation is might be able to protect the internet facing interface but i've never tried and i'm sure it wouldn't be a very secure solution.

Agree with porkchopexpress. The firewall will protect access to the server. You are better off searching for a hardware solution to protect the network. Cisco. Sonicwall, Watchguard, etc. Do it sooner rather than later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back