Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2003 vs 2003 SBS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2001
US
Hello All,
New to Windows 2003, what is the difference between Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2003 SBS?

Thanks

SBS (Small Business Server) is specifically designed for small firms with less than 50 clients, it is more than just a Win2k3 server as it comes with Exchange (i think with 50 CAL's) and ISA software firewall and proxy.

It may also come with SQL. The main dissadvantage is that it doesn't scale very well so if your company increases in size you'll find yourself having to move to server 2003.

for the small business sbs will provide you with everyting you need for the small network in one bundle. If however your company has plans of using terminal services in apps mode or other grand ideas stay clear of sbs.

I install sbs frequently but it has to be right for your clients needs. If they plan to stay small scale for the next few years then yes go for it....however if they wish to expand and join domains and have seperate servers etc then stay clear of it.

Essentials of SBS
has exchange 2003 preinstalled.
has isa firewall preinstalled.
has a SQL server preinstalled.
designed for small networks with under 50 users.
Comes pre supplied with 5 server cals.
not sure about the exchage cals.
faxing services.

Actually, SBS 2003 comes in two flavors: Standard and Premium.

Standard is basically Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 server. SQL Server/ISA Server are NOT included in the Standard package.

Premium includes SQL/ISA server along with some other goodies.

Both 2003 versions support 75 "connections" - which can be either a user PC or a device such as a printer. This is an increase from the previous SBS 50 "user" limit.

Licenses are purchased for the package as a whole. Both versions include 5 licenses for everything in the package. Additional licenses can be purchase in quantities of 5 or 20.

Educational users - FORGET SBS 2003. You can get WAY better deals buying the components separate. (I am an education IT person)

Small corporate users who are likely to stay small for the next 5 years, it is a stellar deal. Note that the 70 users are 70 users - not concurrent connections.

so can SBS 2003 have 70 connections but 20 network atachments that use IP and 50 Clients that use IP.

In total can there only be 50 concurent connections.

Am i correct about that.

I am getting two SBS standard edition. My plan is to have one running as a PDC and the other as a BDC . Is that possible with the Windows 2003 Small Business Server, Standard Edition.

Only 1 SBS server in a domain. You can make the other server a regular Windows server and still replicate AD to it, but only 1 SBS server per domain and it has to be the master.

dkediger -- So that means if i make one SBS as my domain controller ( which is equivalent to a PDC in NT ), i cant use the other SBC to be a BDC.. Is that what you meant
I am sorry, i am a newbie on this.

Thanks
idsi

You won't be able to join the 2nd SBS server to the domain. On setup, it will see that the domain is already "controlled" by an SBS server and tell you to set up another domain for the 2nd server.

There isn't even an option for joining SBS servers to domains - just to set up a new domain.

Not too mention that if you have already purchased 2 SBS your kinda scewed, because you cannot demote a small business server to a member server. It will shut itself off every 60 minute due to the fact that you are not in compliance with the EULA.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back