Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2003 error event 1058 and 1030 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

likin

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
HK
I have the exact same problem you have on my clean installed Win2003 server.
There's an kb article discribing the similar senario in windows xp. The solution was adding a key in registry DisableDFS=disabled. I did this to my win2003 server and the problem was gone for a few days. After I installed TrendMicro ServerProtect and Veritas Backup Exec on that server, the events started happening again. (I am not sure if these are related tho)

I have 2 servers running w2k3, both HP Proliant and both OS are clean installed. These events only happens on the file & print server, which I believe is the operation master because it's the very first server on the my new domain. The other server is w2k3+exchange2k3, no such events occur on it.

Events occur on the server are:
Event ID: 1058
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=mydomain,DC=org. The file must be present at the location <\\mydomain.org\sysvol\mydomain.org\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

Event ID: 1030
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

>-----Original Message-----
>I have tried countless fixes to correct this issue. I have disabled items
>in group policies, edited the host file, made sure of DFS being enabled,
>checked on WMI services... the list goes on.
>
>Every 5 minutes exactly I get this these errors on my Server after I
>upgraded today from Windows 2000 to 2003. Had no such errors in Windows
>2000 Server nor on any of my clients that run Windows XP. If Microsoft
>doesn't have any answers to correct this, then I will revert back to 2000
>and get my companies monies back for 2003.
>
>Does anyone have any other clues to correct these reoccuring errors in app
>log?
>
>
>.
>

To fix this, enable File and Print Sharing on the primary network adapter.

---

Let me know if that fixes it :)

Thanks

Jason

The file and print sharing is and have been enable by default.

Very sorry,

I was also told to change in registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MUP\DisableDFS set to 0

Let me know if that fixes it ;-)

Jason

Yes I did that and the problem was gone in the first place. However after a few days in which I have installed trendmicro serverprotect, officescan manage console and veritas backup exec, these events started occuring again.

Again very sorry I didnt read the previous posts completely; I would suggest contacting the third parties for support in this issue; I was given that fix for the GPO problem by MS, they said that was a common fix for it, and quite possibly it could be something deeper in rare instances. Check permissions on the SYSVOL share, make sure SYSTEM has full access to those folders. Check with TrendMicro, Veritas and the officescan developers for any known problems with their products.

Very sorry to hear, you might want to check for those product tek-tips forum and post this problem there, maybe someone has the same situation.. could be common w/those products.

Good luck! Let us know if you get anything, im curious myself now.

HI

I had a problem similar to this a while back on one of my windows 2003 servers. One of the group policy objects had got corrupted on the dc and it could not be read. To resolve it I followed an MS article (sorry can't remember which one) and booted the server in directory services mode. I then did a non authoritative restore - thus enabling the GPO that was corrupt to be copied back to the server from another DC. Sorry I can't be more specific but one symtom I did have at the time is that I was unable to edit the particular GPO on the server. you could try and open your GPO's to see if your problem is the same.

Hope this helps.

David

Hi!

I've had this problem on several installations..

This solved the issue EVERY time.

Edit the HOSTS file with the following:

[IP-Address of DC] [yourdomainname]

Ex.
192.168.0.2 domain.com

If you have several DC's, put all of them in, with the same somain name behind every one of them.

And the IP of the local machine should always be listed first.

Hope this helps!

-Stian Nordnes

I have had this issue at a customer’s site. This is usually caused by a time difference on the servers, so you may need to change the SNTP host from the default of time.microsoft.net to time.nist.gov. The quick fix is to tell the server to allow the updates even if there is a problem.

To do this you need to edit the registry and add an entry.
Go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters

And add the dword:
Allow Replication With Divergent and Corrupt Partner

Set the value to 1

The servers should now be replicating and pulling the GP. You may want to undo the registry changes after you make them so that the servers operate normally. That is after you correct the time issues.

Thanks,
Justyn

Justyn Worrell
MCP, MCSE, MCT, CCA, CCEA, CCI
SCSA, CCSA, CCSE, CCNA, AANG-UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back