Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows server 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elaborate

Technical User
Jun 12, 2004
US
help...i think i am on the right track but just a little glitch.

I am tyring to host a website using 2 wire router and server 2k. When I type in my url, i.e., it takes me to the error page "the page cannot be found".

Questions, have I set up the domain and ip address correctly? Has it located my site and only the page cannot be seen? Third, how do I correct this?

Thanks so much.

First, you need to verify you have your webserver configured correctly. Open a browser on it and type and you should get your site. If that works, you need a static IP on your router and your Domain registered and pointed to that IP with your ISP DNS. Then forward port 80 in your router to the webserver.

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

Thank you for the response Matt, Unfortuantely, canyou provide the other solution as your test did not pull up my site, by opening a browser and typing in "localhost". It displayed the page cannot be found.

elaborate

Open a browser on it and type and you should get your site.
Did you type in as Matt suggested or just localhost as you typed. It makes a difference.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

arrgggggh!!, I have followed all the steps suggest by Matt, picking up the tutorial at no-ip.com, followed its instructions. Followed the suggestions for removing the authentication box, but nothing to avail.

I created according to the tutorial a C:\Web_Root folder copied my documents there, I can see them but the world cannot. Typing gets me a login box. I've gone to IIS, Directory Security and made sure that the anonoymous access checkbox was checked, went to a remote laptop tried to access the site and am prompted for a login box. Went back to Director Security removed it and still the login box appears asking for login, password and domain. arrgggh again.

typing " gets me page not found.

Clicking on the main server which has a ridiculous first name and an appended version of this server name along with its users i.e., t-6ddiffy/guest or administrator.

II Service Properties Master properties edit has by defaul for the ip address blank. the home directory tab has directory located on this computer radial button selected, but noting for document path.

When I go to a command window and ping the address for i get replies, but from the outside world no replies.

Help is throughly needed. thank you to all who have provided suggestions in the past.

The first thing to verify is why localhost is not working. Try opening a browser and input and see what happens.

Open the IIS admin. Verify that you see your Default web site. Then right-click it and see if you can browse it.

The default directory for the website, should be C:\INETPUB. See if you have this directory, then within it you should have a webroot and so on.

Also, verify in your services that the World Wide Web Publishing is running.

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back