Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Search Not Functioning Correctly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickletech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2004
US
I am having trouble doing searches with the Windows search function. Whenever I do a search and choose to search 'A word or phrase in the file' it returns 0 results on Excel or Word documents. It will work fine looking for part of the file name, or looking within the file for text documents. Does anyone have any ideas?

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work

Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String

Navigate to and find this file and fix xp_persisthandler.vbs - Enable XP's "Search" to find text in files. It is reached via Win XP Fixes/ Win XP Search Problems/ Can't find files containing text.

Oh, by the way, for anyone else having this problem, I used the XP_FileFilter tool, which allows unregistered extensions to be searched. The xp_persisthandler script actually did not work for me, but they are both on the same web page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back