Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Search Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I'm curious to know if the following is how I correctly analyzed this situation.

Looking for a QuickBooks file and did a search for *.QBW including Hidden & System folders on the whole C: drive. The file I was looking for was not to be found but other QB files were found in MY Documents. Turned ON Indexing service which had been disabled for quite a while and boom, it found the file in C:\Program Files\Intuit...

So, the question. Because Indexing service was turned off, windows search would NOT search in the Program Files folder and return a proper result?? This almost caused a riot by the person that needed that file.

You are much better off using the older search companion on the C drive

Well, that didn't exactly answer my question AND if you're talking about the little dog, I never liked the way that search appeared visually. I am NOT using windows search that comes with office (windows search 4.0). I'm using the old school windows 2000 style search built-in to XP as in the following picture.

>the old school windows 2000 style search built-in to XP

Well, that's Classic Search, and you can only get it on XP with some under-the-hood tweaking ... the default in XP is Search Companion (although you can switch the animated companion off). So you might perhaps understand why I assumed when you said 'windows search' that you actually meant Windows Search, and not Classic/Companion Search.

I'm not aware of folder exclusions with classic/companion search - although as far as I recall it won't search compressed (zip) folders.

No - it's cool. There are at least three search possibilities in XP.

Yeah, it was the older looking search you get by modifying the registry like this.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
"Use Search Asst"="no"

And the bottom line is I tried to search the whole hard drive for *.QBW and it found all of them in My Documents but not the one in C:\Program Files\Intuit...... I really don't understand.

I ended up finding it by using GetDataBack off a BartPE CD but with XP booted. I just did a search within that program for *.qbw and there it was. Not even a search for deleted files, so that gives me a new tool when search results don't make sense.

Since you are talking about "old school" searches, when I do a search and the results just don't make sense, and the file would not be in a zip, I will go to the really old school search...

Assuming my file will be on C drive:
Open a command window and change to root
c:\...> cd c:\>dir /s *.qbw

Oh man, I can't be bothered with non-GUI searches at a DOS prompt. Well, I guess I could, but it annoys me that Windows search let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back