Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows SBS 2003 login screen missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmacandrew

Technical User
Dec 7, 2011
US
On the owners computer (Vista) The login screen to login to the sbs 2003 server is missing. We have to hit network, server, then the login screen comes up. How to we get the login screen back.

Hi

i am no expert on SBS but I saw yjos today. If you go into the server management, then users and you click on the user in question, somewhere in there (I cant remeber exactly which tab) there is a tick box 'force user to ctrl+alt+del to logon'.

As I say I am no expert but it would be worth checking this out.

Regards

Alan Edwards

Have you applied the SBS 2003 updates for Windows 7 and Vista users?

How can I tell if the updates have been installed?

It sounds to me like either of two things:

1) The Vista workstation is not joined to the domain, and has been configured to log on as the local user automatically. Once you try to access domain resources, it prompts for a password.

2) The workstation IS a member of the domain but has been configured to automatically log on to the domain.

I think the second option is unlikely, since it's not easy to set up, and it doesn't explain why you are prompted for a password when you access the server.

So to resolve this, you probably need to make sure that the workstation is running Vista Business or Ultimate, and that it is using the SBS server's IP address as its ONLY DNS server. Once you've done that, you should be able to go to the Properties on My Computer and join it to the domain. Then the system will require domain login before being used at all.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

My initial thought is that the Vista machine is running Vista Home and not Professional or Enterprise.

I think ShackDaddy's initial assessment is probably spot on.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back