Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows reboots if running mcafee active shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAMSIN

Programmer
Sep 6, 2000
GB
I guess this is a fairly common problem - about 50% of the time, when I try to shutdown my computer, it reboots instead. VERY annoying!
Its windows 98 SE, and I've followed the advice in other posts, and found that if I shutdown mcafee active shield first (or disable it from starting up at all using msconfig) then my pc shuts down fine. Its a bit of a pain though, as it means I either forhet to start it, and don't have virus protection, or forget to stop it, and my pc reboots. Anyone had this, and found a way around it?
Thanks!

Edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.
REM any lines referring to McAfee.
Do the same in the dosstart.bat file found in the c:\windows folder.
It's a windows program, you don't need it scanning in DOS, and this usually helps. (Frees up a few more bytes of RAM as well!) X-) Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately as far as I can see, there is no mention of mcafee in any of those files :-(.
Any other ideas?

Uninstall, trash, throw out, use for target practice your McAfee disk/download.
Edit the registry to get rid of everything associated with McAfee.
Go to and get InoculateIt.
Free, with free updates for life, requires registration.
Updates occur almost every day, built in GUI for updating.
Doesn't screw with windows settings like the other two (McAfee and Norton/Symantec), and you won't have any more problem.

Other option: reinstall windows over top, and pray. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back